Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Soren's Second Monthday

I can't believe two months ago today little Soren joined us. I feel totally overwhelmed by the beautiful gift of his life. Time truly flies!


So, Soren, after two months of life on this earth, you have won my heart (and the hearts of, well, pretty much everyone). You're mastering the art of smiling. You make eye contact, your eyes twinkle, your ears perk up a quarter of an inch, and you break into a huge, toothless, open-mouthed grin.

You're getting so big! Every time I see you in someone else's arms, it occurs to me how huge you are! Clothes that were huge at the beginning of February, you are now stretching out of. Snaps stretch apart, and your narrow shoulders pop out of the top of short onesies. I've started putting you in even 6-9 months sized onesies because you're so long. And you've finally started to put a little fat on! Your chin has a fold, your thighs have some chub, and you're adorable.

Your eyes look like they're going to stay blue like mine, but you still look almost just like your dad in every way. I couldn't be more thrilled.

And oh boy, are you strong! Your dad walked at 9 months, and it looks like you might be on the move pretty soon, too. There's no rush, though! Take your time! You are already holding yourself up pretty well, pushing with your arms and legs. When you're mad or in pain, you make your whole body stiff as a board and yell. You're practically made of stone.

You have also started to reach for things. I catch you in your little play yard (from Ashley and Emily), batting at toys and even kicking them. Your vision has improved so much! I see you gazing at things near and far, studying them. Your biggest attraction is ceiling fans though. If you're fussy, sometimes all one has to do is reposition you so you can stare up at the spinning blades, and you stare at them in perfect contentment.

And you should know you have an amazing daddy! He changes your diapers and plays with you. Best of all, he gives you the sweetest cuddles and hugs. I love seeing him hold you close, wrapping his arms around you, and kissing you gently on the cheek. You are so very loved.

Your grandparents adore you, too. They cuddle you, play with you, console you, and adore you. I have never known a luckier baby than you. (Not to mention your sweet aunts and uncles!!! You might get to meet Aunt Hannah, Uncle James and your cousin Helen this next month!)

Most of all, this month, I love the way you stare back at me when I stare at you. You moved me to tears a few days ago. I looked at you, and you looked at me, and we just loved each other for a few minutes. You broke the gaze when you broke into the most precious, gleeful smile. And you know what it made me think of? How I hope you love Jesus that same way someday - that you would just enjoy his presence and ultimately, find pure joy in it.

So, here's to your second month on earth, and here's to the promise of your third. I know it's going to be epic, and am so grateful to God that I get to spend it with you and your awesome daddy.

3 comments:

  1. Happy 2nd Month Birthday, Soren. You have captivated our hearts. You reflect God to me. You are truly blessed with a great mommy and daddy. I can't wait to see you today. I love you, Grammy Mary

    ReplyDelete
  2. awwww this was so sweet. you gave me goosebumps!

    ReplyDelete
  3. love that sweet letter to soren - gave me goosebumps too - so sweet. i realllllly want to get together!!!!! please!

    ReplyDelete