Friday, January 23, 2009

Finally, a Onesie that fits perfectly!





Plant a new tree,
Treat it with Care,
Give it clean water and
Feed it fresh air.

This is made using McCall's 8574 as a starting point.  The pattern was HEAVILY modified... I will post my own pattern ASAP.  

I highly recommend, if you want to make a onesie, to start with a onesie that fits the way you want yours to.  The only parts of this pattern that I did not modify were the sleeves and sleeve curves on the front and back pieces.  I removed some of the width and length of the butt flap, removed some of the fabric at the neck opening, redrew the bottom curves to eliminate sharp edges and to create more coverage on the butt.  I also added "binding" at neck and leg edges.

Once again, this onesie was made from a Dr. Seuss tee shirt a friend gave me.  I find it ironic that the tee shirt about planting trees was recycled into a onesie (onset of guilt for going through so much paper in perfecting this silly pattern).

In the end, the pattern was worth the $2 I spent on it to get a sleeve pattern that actually worked.  Having made it work, I think I'll finish making Dr. Seuss onesies (three more to go!), and call it a day for a while.

I don't remember the last time I made something for me, not to mention the four yards of gorgeous grey suiting that is waiting to be made into circle skirts for Sarah M and her friend.  Did I mention I'm getting paid to sew a skirt?!  How epic is that?  I feel like a 5th grader who is getting paid to do what I love - pure glee.

1 comment:

  1. Sarah, You are so creative! I linked to your blog via Laura G. and Erin H. I love all the things that you are making! I actually just got a sewing machine for Christmas and I aspire to be like you one day. I have a baby girl so I especially love the little jumpers. I just referenced your blog in a post b/c I am inspired by your talent...I actually wish I still lived in FL so you could give me some lessons! Great work!

    ReplyDelete