Monday, January 12, 2009

Onesie Success!

This project was the most fun I have had in a very long time.  Really.  Everyone had always told me how difficult it was to make baby clothes, but this was refreshingly easy and fun.

I got McCall's patter 8574 and recycled a t-shirt which I doubt ever would fit around "mommy" me again.  I used a serger on most seams and finished them with my Singer Featherweight, stretching serged seams slightly to give.  I used hemmed sleeve edges as the hemmed edge on the baby shirt sleeves (my overlock is only a 4-thread machine, and I'll cheat whenever possible).

The t-shirt was a woman's small.  The placement of the design on the shirt made it a little difficult to manipulate, and some letters were cut off, but it is still roughly legible.

I cut some corners with this one because it was a first try and I was using an old shirt that had been stained pink by a red sleeping bag at some point.  I was able to bleach it to get it looking pretty "new", and am pleased with the product.  I'll definitely be making more.

The only thing is, the onesie pattern is cut for a small line backer, and baby Soren is shaped like Michael Phelps.  Oh well, I guess he'll grow into it?

Front Detail


Front


Back, quotes Mark 12:30



4 comments:

  1. i love it! lglp. you got it boy. now live it from day 1!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks great! Now Soren never has to wear tacky patterns from the baby aisle ever again :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow, i want homemade onesies - i love it that you did that. i want to make one :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are so creative..! That onesie looks cute and adorable.

    ReplyDelete